Philmont High Adventure
2021 Philmont Contingent
Heart of New England Council is in the process of securing our allotment of crews for 2021. To help guide us with requesting the correct number of crews units interested in being part of the 2021 Philmont contingent are asked to contact High Adventure Chair David Bosselait (email: email@example.com cell: 978-779-5274 no later than October 31.
The contingent will depart the Boston area on a Tuesday in mid-July. Potential dates are July 13 – July 22 or July 20 – August 3. The specific dates will depend on our crew allotment.
The estimated cost is $2,350.00 per individual. This includes all round-trip transportation, Philmont’s fees and touring activities.
Eligibility and crew size:
- Scouts and Scouters who are not attending Philmont in 2020 will be given preference should there be too many interested in the 2021 Heart of New England Council Philmont council contingent.
- Participants must be 14 years of age or have completed 8th Grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participating.
- All youth and adult participants must be a registered with the Boy Scouts of America.
- All of the youths and adults must meet strict height and weight requirements as outlined on the BSA medical form.
- Including adult advisors, the maximum Crew size is 12 and the minimum Crew size is 8. Each Crew is required to have a majority of youth participants. A majority of the Crew must be under age 21.
- Each crew is required to have at least 3 adult advisers. Philmont requires that 2 members of each crew be certified in Wilderness First Aid and 2 members be certified in CPR. Heart of New England Council strongly encourages that all of their adult advisors are certified in both Wilderness First Aid and CPR.
- If more crews apply to attend than Heart of New England Council has slots for, a lottery to be held before April 1, 2020 to determine the crews that will participate. The reservation fee will be refunded to any Crew not selected.
The per person payment schedule is as follows:
- March 1, 2020 – $500.00 (initial deposit)
- June 1, 2020 – $475.00
- September 1, 2020 – $475.00
- December 1, 2020 – $450.00
- March 1, 2021 – $450.00.
Please note that the Council will only accept one check from each Crew for each payment.
To request a Crew slot for 2021, a reservation fee of $500.00 per individual in the crew must be received by at the Lancaster service center no later than March 1, 2020.
Please submit only one check per crew. The check must be payable to “Heart of New England Council, BSA”.
The reservation fee must be accompanied by a note containing the name and full contact information (including unit number, email, mailing address and phone numbers) of the adult advisors and include an initial estimate of the number of Scouts and the number of adult Scouters that will comprise the crew.
By making the reservation payment, Units are committing to making every payment in full, on time as scheduled and for the full number of Crew members the Unit initially commits to. Late payments or underpayments may result in the cancelation of that Crew’s reservation.
Although we try our very best to come in on budget, as this undertaking is 18 months in the future, we are at the mercy of price increases from vendors such as eating establishments, excursion companies, airlines, lodging and bus transportation providers. The $2,350 fee is our best estimate at this point in time. There is no guaranty that this will fully cover the costs we will need to expend on this Contingent, in which case Council reserves the right to charge each Unit its proportionate share of any deficit incurred.
All payments are non-refundable as Heart of New England Council enters in to binding commitments on your behalf. Should a Crew member withdraw for any reason after any payment is made, that Unit and Crew will remain responsible for the payment in full for that member. Crew members can be substituted until about 90 days prior to the departure of the Contingent.
Questions, may be addressed to: David Bosselait, Heart of New England Council – High Adventure Committee (email: firstname.lastname@example.org cell: 978-779-5274)