Philmont High Adventure
2020 Philmont Contingent
Heart of New England Council has received an allotment for 8 crews to attend Philmont Scout Ranch in July 2019. This will permit a total of 96 Scouts and Scouters from Heart of New England Council to partake in one of Scouting’s most exciting high adventure opportunities.
The contingent will depart the Boston area on Tuesday, July 14, 2020, arrive at Philmont on Thursday, July 16, 2020 and return home on Tuesday, July 28, 2020.
The estimated cost is $2,250.00 per individual.
Eligibility and crew size:
- Scouts and Scouters who did not attend Philmont in 2019 will be given preference should there be too many interested in the 2020 Heart of New England Council Philmont council contingent.
- Participants must be 14 years of age or have completed 8th Grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participating.
- All youth and adult participants must be a registered with the Boy Scouts of America.
- All of the youths and adults must meet strict height and weight requirements as outlined on the BSA medical form.
- Including adult advisors, the maximum Crew size is 12 and the minimum Crew size is 8. Each Crew is required to have a majority of youth participants. A majority of the Crew must be under age 21.
- Each crew is required to have at least 3 adult advisers. Philmont requires that 2 members of each crew be certified in Wilderness First Aid and 2 members be certified in CPR. Heart of New England Council strongly encourages that all of their adult advisors are certified in both Wilderness First Aid and CPR.
- If more crews apply to attend than Heart of New England Council has slots for, a lottery to be held before April 1, 2019 to determine the crews that will participate. The reservation fee will be refunded to any Crew not selected.
The per person payment schedule is as follows:
- March 1, 2019 – $500.00 (initial deposit)
- June 1, 2019 – $500.00
- September 1, 2019 – $450.00
- December 1, 2019 – $400.00
- March 1, 2020 – $400.00.
Please note that the Council will only accept one check from each Crew for each payment.
To request a Crew slot for 2020, a reservation fee of $500.00 per individual in the crew must be received by Carolyn Tobin at the Lancaster service center no later than March 1, 2019.
Please submit only one check per crew. The check must be payable to “Heart of New England Council, BSA”.
The reservation fee must be accompanied by a note containing the name and full contact information (including unit number, email, mailing address and phone numbers) of the adult advisors and include an initial estimate of the number of Scouts and the number of adult Scouters that will comprise the crew.
By making the reservation payment, Units are committing to making every payment in full, on time as scheduled and for the full number of Crew members the Unit initially commits to. Late payments or underpayments may result in the cancelation of that Crew’s reservation.
Although we try our very best to come in on budget, as this undertaking is 18 months in the future, we are at the mercy of price increases from vendors such as eating establishments, excursion companies, airlines, lodging and bus transportation providers. The $2,250 fee is our best estimate at this point in time. There is no guaranty that this will fully cover the costs we will need to expend on this Contingent, in which case Council reserves the right to charge each Unit its proportionate share of any deficit incurred.
All payments are non-refundable as Heart of New England Council enters in to binding commitments on your behalf. Should a Crew member withdraw for any reason after any payment is made, that Unit and Crew will remain responsible for the payment in full for that member. Crew members can be substituted until about 90 days prior to the departure of the Contingent.
Questions, may be addressed to: David Bosselait, Heart of New England Council – High Adventure Committee (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)